Department of Human Nutrition
Head: -currently unspecified- (Assistant Director Human Nutrition)
The department aims to provide optimal nutrition support to all in-patients as well as outpatients. The department comprises a principal dietician, 2 senior dieticians and 6 junior dieticians who are responsible for managing the division. These dieticians represent all the academic institutions in South Africa that provide training for dieticians, thus forming a broad base of clinical knowledge and expertise. The cultural diversity of the division allows to provide a multilingual service to the community.
The following services are rendered throughout the hospital:
- Nutrition counselling and supplementation at outpatient clinics eg general dietetic clinic, neonatal follow-up, renal clinic, CP clinic and Cardiac clinic.
- Nutrition support and counselling in all wards and sections eg paediatric, surgical and medical.
Other projects in include:
- CBR (community based rehabilitation) workgroup that is busy compiling a resource list of the community to able to serve patients better.
- A weight loss programme in conjunction with the physiotherapists
- HIV/Aids workshops for parents/caregivers with children who are diagnosed with HIV/Aids.
The department is actively involved in training which include:
- 4th year dietetic students from Pretoria University
- 5th year medical students from Wits University
- Newly appointed nurses
- RAU community nursing students
- Medical staff
You may check back later for updated content or contact the hospital.